Baked Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
If you love chicken parmigiana, try our spin on this classic Italian sandwich. A well-seasoned, bread-crumb coated chicken is smothered in tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese and baked to perfection before being stuffed between two slices of toasted bread. For variation, you could swap sliced bread for a small hamburger bun. This sandwich is pretty hearty on its own and you won’t need much else to satisfy. So, plan to serve it with a light side dish like a garden salad or raw veggie sticks.
Low-fat vinaigrette salad dressing
Uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
1 pound(s), four 4-oz pieces
Canned tomato sauce
Part-skim mozzarella cheese
¼ cup(s), shredded
Reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
8 slice(s), or Italian-style, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the Italian dressing and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in dressing and turn to coat; dip the chicken in the bread crumbs and turn to coat.
- Place the chicken in the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Top with the tomato sauce and cheese and bake until the chicken is no longer pink, and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, about 10 minutes more.
- Place each chicken breast on 1 slice of bread; top with the remaining slices of bread and serve.
- Serving size: 1 sandwich.