South Indian Curried Chickpeas
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time:15 min
Our unique flavoring for chickpeas sheds new light on canned beans. Enjoy them as a side dish or serve them with basmati rice for a complete meal.
- 2 Tbsp dried shredded and sweetened coconut meat, unsweetened if available
- 1 tsp coriander seed(s)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper(s), seeded, coarsely chopped (or use 1 hot green chile)
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 medium uncooked carrot(s), diced
- 2 medium fresh tomato(es), seeded and chopped
- 19 oz canned chickpeas (undrained), rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2tsp cumin seeds
- 3 Tbsp plain fat free yogurt
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 cup(s) water
- Place coconut, coriander seeds, jalapeno, salt and water in a blender; grind to a paste and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add carrot, tomatoes and chickpeas; cook until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in coconut mixture, cinnamon, cumin and yogurt; reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve hot. Yields about 1 cup per serving.