|Prep Time:15 min||Cook Time: 30 min||Serves: 4|
Is it a dessert? Is it a breakfast? This crumble straddles the line between the two with an abundance of fruit, hearty oats, and bran flakes. The inclusion of cardamom, a warming spice with a distinct citrus character, gives this dish a complexity beyond a traditional crumble.
Pro tip: having guests over for brunch, or serving this as the finale to a dinner? Assemble ahead of time to get you out of the kitchen and back to the party. Prep the berry and pear mixture and place it in the casserole dish and prep the crumble and set aside. Before you pop it in the oven, sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake.
- 1⁄4 cup(s) uncooked old fashioned oats
- 10 oz frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 2 medium pear(s), unpeeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp sugar, or apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup(s) ready to eat bran flakes
- 2 Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, added in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sprinkle oats onto a nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, shaking skillet frequently until oats turn golden, 1 minute; set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together berries, pears, 1 tablespoon flour and granulated sugar. Spoon into shallow 1 1/2-quart glass casserole dish.
- In a bowl, combine oats, bran cereal, remaining flour, brown sugar and cardamom. Cut in margarine to make crumb topping. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.