If you have already done some research on keto or read our explainer article, then you have probably noticed that keto and WW Freestyle both encourage the consumption of satiating high-protein foods.
Keto encourages eating a diet that is 80 per cent fat, but, makes no distinction between healthy and unhealthy fats. Keto also restricts all carbs, and similar to its stance on fats, makes no distinction between types of carbs.
WW Freestyle uses the SmartPoints® system to distinguish between healthy fats and carbs and not-so healthy ones. Every food and drink is assigned a SmartPoints value, one easy-to-use number based on calories, saturated fat, sugar, and protein. Foods that are higher in sugar and/or saturated fat are higher in SmartPoints values. Foods that are higher in protein are lower in SmartPoints values. By eating foods that have a lower SmartPoints value you’ll automatically be steered towards healthier choices and away from the not-so healthy.
Although keto is super trendy, the reality is, it’s is a restrictive diet that is difficult for the average person to stick to in the long run and lacks the science-backed history of WW.
WW Freestyle is a common-sense approach to weight loss and healthy living that allows you to eat the foods you love – no foods are off limits,unlike keto which eliminates most carbs.
Not convinced? Here are 10 reasons why you should consider WW Freestyle over keto:
- Keto is a complex do-it-yourself diet that eliminates most carbs and encourages you to eat a lot of fat, much of which is unhealthy, saturated fats. WW has been proven to be two times more effective for weight loss than doing it on your own.[i]
- Keto is hard to stick to because it eliminates a lot of foods. Maintaining a diet that is mostly fat and very low in carbs is difficult for the long run. Carbs are not only found in bread and pasta but in foods with broader health benefits like fruits and veggies. With WW Freestyle everything is on the menu, you can still eat the foods you love and see weight-loss success. And being able to still enjoy your favourite foods means you are more likely to stick to it long-term.
- The keto diet is typically high in saturated fat which can increase the risk of heart disease and some cancers[ii].
- Keto does not align with the new Canada Food Guide due to its emphasis on saturated fats, high-consumption of animal proteins, and limited fruits and vegetables. WW Freestyle is aligned with the new Canada Food Guide. Both encourage eating whole foods, amping up your fruits and veggies, consuming lean sources of protein, and limiting saturated fats as doing so can help lower your risk of heart disease[iii].
- WW Freestyle has been ranked #1 Best Diet for Weight Loss for the 9th consecutive year by U.S. News & World Report Rankings. Keto is #23.
- Keto will be challenging if you are vegan or vegetarian. Many of the high-fat foods that are recommended for the keto diet are animal-based, including butter, animal fats, organ meat, cheese, and high-fat dairy. WW Freestyle works well with a plant-based diet. Most fruits and vegetables are ZeroPoints foods, as are plant-based sources of protein like tofu, beans, and lentils.
- Eating in the real world – with WW, eating meals with friends and family, as well as eating out are much more manageable – as no foods are off limits with WW Freestyle. It can be difficult to prepare and consume keto foods in the context of work and family without multiple menus.
- Keto has little social support. With WW Freestyle you have the support of the entire WW community which you can access through our app or in person. You will get access to community support via Connect, or exclusive members-only social community, 24/7 chat to talk to someone who can give you expert advice, or if you are a Studio member, at your weekly workshop.
- WW Freestyle is backed by science with 100 published studies and numerous randomized clinical trials showing that WW is more effective for weight loss than self-help, university-based treatment, and physician advice. WW has been shown to be effective among individuals with diabetes and prediabetes.
- WW has many added bonuses you won’t get with keto! WW rewards you for your healthy habits with WellnessWinsTM our rewards program just for WW members. By logging your healthy habits, like tracking a meal, attending a workshop, or doing an activity you rack up ‘wins’ that you can redeem for exclusive prizes. We also have partnered with Headspace and Aaptiv to provide members with curated meditation and activity content to help them be successful on their wellness journey. Free for WW members. We provide all of that as part of the program because we have more than half a century of experience in what it takes to be successful and insight our members’ wellness journeys.
The key to losing weight and maintaining weight loss is to gradually shift your eating pattern to healthier choices, be a little more active each day, and incorporate mindfulness into your wellness strategy, for a holistic and sustainable approach to weight loss. What you eat is a critical part of long term health – in both achieving and maintaining a healthy weight and providing your body the fuel it needs to perform at its best.
Ready to give WW Freestyle a try? Click here.
WW is the #1 Doctor Recommended Weight Loss Program*
*Based on a 2019 survey of 500 doctors who recommend weight loss programs to patients
[i] Randomized controlled trial