In season - Tomato recipes
Tips for buying & preparing tomatoes
1. Tomatoes are fat-free, high in vitamins A and C and low in sodium. Egg or roma varieties of tomato are less acidic, therefore gentler on the stomach.
2. Choose firm, ripe, heavy tomatoes free from bruises and blemishes.
3. To peel tomatoes, cut a small cross at the base of the flesh. Cook in boiling water for 30-40 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and cool in iced water to prevent further cooking. Drain and carefully peel the skin away from the flesh.
4. Make a double batch of tomato sauce and store in a clean, labelled, sealed container. Freeze for up to 3 months for a go-to pasta sauce.
5. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes that can help protect the body’s cells from damage.
6. Store tomatoes on a board or plate on the kitchen bench. Don’t refrigerate as they’ll become mushy.