- 6 medium fresh tomato, quartered lengthways
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 280 g sourdough bread, 8 x 35g slices
- 288 g trimmed beef fillet, (8 x 45g minute steaks, fat trimmed)
- 1 tbs mayonnaise, garlic (or aioli)
- 50 g rocket leaves
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 3 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer, cut side up, on prepared tray. Lightly spray with olive oil, and bake for 20 mins or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 20 mins or until softened and a rich brown colour. Stir in vinegar and sugar, and cook a further 5 mins or until caramelised. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat a barbecue to high. Lightly spray bread with oil and cook on the grill plate for 1 minute each side or until toasted. Cook beef on the lightly oiled flat plate for 1 minute each side or until browned. Set aside and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lay out four pieces of the toasted bread on a board.
- Spread each slice with ailoi. Top with rocket, beef, onions, tomatoes and avocado, then remaining bread. TIP You can cook tomatoes and onions ahead of time and reheated on the barbecue. Aioli is garlic flavoured mayonnaise.