- 2 medium brown onion, quartered
- 5 clove(s) garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp ground all spice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1/3 cup(s) brown rice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 medium tomato(es), finely chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 600 g green beans
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Process 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, allspice and nutmeg in a food processor until a thick paste forms. Add half the parsley and process until finely chopped.
Combine beef, rice and onion paste in a bowl. Roll mixture into 20 meatballs. Place on a plate. Cover and place in fridge for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining onion and garlic. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook sliced onion and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add tomato paste, beans and 2 cups (500ml) water and bring to the boil. Add meatballs, pushing beans aside to make sure meatballs are covered in sauce mixture, and return to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Add paprika and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 3–5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. Serve.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Salad leaves, drizzled with lemon juice. TIP: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave.