Lemon poppy seed cake with lemon syrup
- 2 tbs poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup(s) skim milk, (80ml)
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 75 g Reduced fat oil spread
- 1/2 cup(s) caster sugar, (110g)
- 1 medium Egg
- 2 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 1/4 cup(s) white self-raising flour, (185g), sifted
- 1 tbs fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 1/3 cup(s) icing sugar, (60g)
- 1 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray
Place poppy seeds in a small bowl. Add milk and 2 tablespoons juice. Stir to combine. Set aside for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 4.5cm-deep, 20cm (base measurement) ring cake tin with oil.
Using electric beaters, beat spread, sugar, egg and vanilla until combined. Using a spatula, stir in flour and milk mixture, alternately, in 2 batches, until combined. Stir in rind. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, combine remaining juice and icing sugar in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Drizzle icing over cooled cake. Serve.
- TIP: For special occasions, double the recipe to serve 16 (see our front cover). Bake in a 22cm ring tin for 30 minutes and decorate with lemon zest.