- 1000 g red skin potato, (1.2kg, peeled), halved
- 1 medium fresh lemon(s), scrubbed
- 70 g fresh garlic, (1 bulb)
- 2 tbs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1060 g skinless whole chicken, (1.8kg whole)
- 12 bag(s) fresh thyme, (6 sprigs)
- 3 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray
Cook potatoes, lemon and garlic in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 10-12 mins or until just tender. Drain, remove and reserve lemon and garlic. Place potatoes in a baking dish. Lightly spray with oil. Add rosemary and toss to coat (outside of potatoes will become rough).
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Place a wire rack in a baking dish. Trim excess fat from chicken. Discard neck. Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold water. Pat-dry with paper towels. Season cavity with salt and pepper.
Using a skewer, pierce the lemon about 12 times. Place lemon, garlic and thyme into chicken cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Lightly spray chicken with oil. Place, breast-side up, onto rack in baking dish. Bake for 1 hr 15 mins, adding potatoes to oven for last 50 mins of cooking time, until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer and potatoes are golden. Stand, covered, for 10 mins. Remove skin and trim away visible fat. Serve.
- If you prefer, garlic cloves can be baked and served with potatoes.