Cheat’s eggplant parmigiana
reduced-fat ricotta cheese
½ cup(s), (120g)
150 g, (1 Cup)
grated parmesan cheese
⅓ cup(s), (25g)
2 medium, cut lengthways into 8 x 1cm slices
1 medium, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
dried chilli flakes
⅛ tsp, (Pinch)
canned diced tomatoes
800 g, (2 x 400g can)
fresh lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 240°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place egg whites in a shallow bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons water. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a shallow bowl.
- Dip 1 eggplant slice into egg mixture and then breadcrumbs. Place onto prepared tray. Coat remaining eggplant slices. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook onion, garlic, chilli and cinnamon for 2 minutes or until softened. Add tomato and bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Combine ricotta, lemon juice and thyme in a small bowl.
- Place half the eggplant slices on serving plates. Top evenly with half the tomato sauce and rocket. Repeat layering with remaining eggplant, tomato sauce and rocket. Crumble over ricotta mixture and serve sprinkled with lemon rind.