Brussels sprouts are in abundance during winter and spring so make the most of them and get creative with this classic winter veg!
Top tips for buying and preparing Brussels sprouts
- Choose small, bright green and firm brussels sprouts with leaves tightly furled.
- If boiling, halve or quarter sprouts so they cook faster and retain their colour. Boil, uncovered, in salted water until just tender.
- Arrange on a baking tray in a single layer. Lightly spray with oil and season. Add sliced garlic. Bake at 200˚C for 20-25 minutes. Serve drizzled with lemon juice. Brussels sprouts go well with almonds or pine nuts, bacon and blue cheese... perfect for a delicious salad.
- They’re a great vegie to add to stir-fries. Shred them and add towards the end, or quarter and cook with a little water with the lid askew until just tender.
- It’s not necessary to cut a cross in the stem when prepping as they can become waterlogged.
In season during: Autumn, winter and spring.