Top tips for using beetroot
Beetroot is a highly nutritious vegie full of fibre, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. Here are our top tips for using beet:
• For sweetness, colour and crunch, use grated raw beetroot in salads.
• Don’t forget the leaves! Use them in place of spinach. They’re delicious sautéed with a touch of oil and garlic.
• Serve the beetroots with your Sunday roast. Decrease the amount of potatoes and substitute beets instead for more a sweeter flavour.
• Use beets in baking: there’s no need for red food colouring to make red velvet chocolate cakes, grated beets does the trick. Also use beetroot juice to colour cupcakes and icing.
• Forget butter on sandwiches, try one of our tasty beet dips instead. Check out our recipe for Roasted beetroot dip >
• Roasting beetroot brings out its sweet flavour and intense colour.
• To stop the beetroot staining your fingers and nails red, wear plastic gloves when cutting and grating the beets.
In season during: Summer, autumn, winter and spring.