How to poach eggs
4 SmartPoints® per serve (Green plan)
3 SmartPoints per serve (Blue and Purple plans)
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 5 min
4 medium eggs (at room temperature)
4 slices wholemeal bread, toasted
2 tsp fresh chives, chopped
2 x 3 second sprays oil spray
Bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer. Line a small bowl with a large sheet of plastic wrap, overhanging the sides. Lightly spray with oil. Break an egg into the plastic.
Gather ends of plastic to enclose egg, being sure to expel all the air. Twist firmly just above the egg, then tie securely. Repeat with remaining eggs.
Place plastic-wrapped eggs into pan, and simmer over low heat for 4½ minutes or until white has set but yolk is still soft. Lift out of pan onto a plate.
Use scissors to snip plastic between egg and knot. Carefully peel away plastic. Turn eggs onto toast and sprinkle with chives. Season.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baby vine-ripened tomatoes
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer. Break an egg into a cup.
2. Stir the water to create a whirlpool, and slide the egg gently into the water. The white should begin to set immediately and the movement of the water will help it to wrap around the yolk and keep a nice shape. Cook for 3 minutes.
Tip: If using the whirlpool method, add 2 tsp white vinegar to the simmering water. This helps the white to set and gives it a bright white colour.
How to serve poached eggs
- Top vegie noodles with poached egg and shaved parmesan.
- Add egg to Asian noodle soup or a French onion soup.
- Sprinkle egg with dukkah and serve on couscous and roasted vegies.
- Fill a barbecued flat mushroom with wilted spinach and top with egg.
- Serve egg with steamed broccolini and smoked salmon.