Instant Workout Motivation
Get moving with these inspiring, no-holds-barred tips and wisdom from personal trainers.
A gym membership helps you get in shape only when you use it. Here are the 10 tips from fitness experts to get you off your butt and into the gym:
1. "Plan to go to the gym when your favorite TV show or game is on. This way you'll be able to watch it [from the treadmill] without your family interrupting you."
--Marc Boudouris, CSCS, trainer Five Seasons Sports Club in Indianapolis, IN
2. "Choose a gym that meets your needs and makes you feel welcome. If you join a place that intimidates you, chances are you won't go very often."
--Kristin Story, CSCS, trainer at S.T.E.P.S., Inc. in Nashville, TN
3. "Find a picture of someone in your family whom you don't want to end up looking like. On the days you don't feel like exercising, look at the picture until you change your mind."
--Lou Schuler, coauthor of The Men's Health Home Workout Bible
4. "Write down your reason for getting fit and keep it in your pocket or tape it to your dashboard in your car so you can't ignore it."
--Jeffery Katula, PhD, exercise physiologist at Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
5. "Invest in a good set of workout clothes and shoes. Not only does it make working out safer and more comfortable, but it also instills a sense of pride and commitment. And you'll feel obligated to justify spending the money."
--Justin D. Miloszewski, CSCS, trainer at Breakthru Physical Therapy and Fitness in Medford, NJ
6. "Don't just plan on going to the gym at some point in the day. If you fail to specify the time, and you don't get to the gym, it's easy to delude yourself into thinking that you simply postponed your workout. Make an actual appointment with yourself and schedule the start and stop time; you'll be more likely to keep the appointment."
--Charles Staley, president of Staley Training in Gilbert, AZ
7. "You want to be in shape, and you've got to stay in shape so you can take part in activities with your kids as they grow up. So you can crawl, run and play ball with them."
--Gunnar Peterson, CSCS, personal trainer based in Beverly Hills, CA.
8. "Don't psych yourself out by thinking each visit to the gym has to be a hardcore workout. If you're stressed at work, just jump on the treadmill for 30 minutes so that you feel energized when you leave the gym, not tired."
--Geoffrey Myers, CSCS, trainer at Redline Sports in Laguna Beach, CA
9. "When debating whether you want to go to the gym or not, ask yourself two questions: What happens if I stick to my plan? What happens if I don't?"
--Bill Hartman, CSCS, creator of Inside-Out: The Ultimate Upper Body Warm-up DVD and training manual
10. "Give your TV remote control to a friend who will return it to you only when you show up at the gym."
--Neil Fiore, PhD, author of Awaken Your Strongest Self